Sunday, April 23, 2006

Quiet Happiness

My vacation came to an end earlier this week, Tuesday in fact. Real life started back on Wednesday, but it was more like Friday when things began to fall in place.

Quietness is what I missed the most. Don’t we usually take vacations to get away from everything? To relax and experience quietness. Maybe it’s more of a solitude feeling that I missed. Traveling with a friend, to go see another friend meant there was someone by my side all the time.

I did good being with that much company for that long of a time. I like to be surrounded by people. I also like to surround myself with emptiness at times too. To not set a schedule. To do what I want to do. Those are the feelings that make me happiest at times.

This weekend was my first in awhile to be home alone. I tried living it up for what it was worth but one thing or another kept showing up at my door or calling me to talk. I wasn’t in the mood for it. I wanted to go and do things on my own.

Today with nothing on my schedule I made happiness out of cleaning and chopping some fruits and vegetables. I bought over a weeks worth of fruits and veggies yesterday at the Farmers Market.

Eating fruit is my type of vacation. It’s a break from the regular processed foods that surround me daily. It’s a natural sweetness in my mouth that wasn’t an added ingredient on some conveyor belt in some factory miles away. Instead it’s a natural quiet happiness for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

Sorry we were one of those 'one things or another' that showed up at your door Saturday night to hang out:( We hardly ever get to see you & had a lot of fun catching up though! Thanks for being such an amazing host!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been borderline addicted to pineapple for a few months now. I don't know where it came from but I'll pay any amount for fruit these days. Fresh pineapple, strawberries, raspberries... I need to have it in the house at all times.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tabs said...

Matt, I didn't even know that OKC new the joys of a Farmers Market. I'm so excited that you are shopping at one and enjoying the freshest and tastiest produce. Ours are about to open (well, besides the one in Portland that is open year round) and I just can't wait. It's just about the only place I buy my fruits and veggies during the summer.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home