Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Another Title

I was standing in a friend’s kitchen the other day when she told me that I was a Renaissance Man. I was intrigued and asked for an explanation hoping I could learn where she was coming from. A few words were expressed and nothing else was mentioned after that conversation. That was three days ago and it’s still on the top of my mind. What makes a man in today’s society a Renaissance Man? After searching off and on the last few days I came across a few good articles this morning as I sat buried in the noisy crowd of Starbucks....or fourbucks.

A Renaissance Man is created by exposing himself to a variety of activities rather than just one activity. Though one activity ought to enrich a man’s life it is not to impoverish it by requiring such a commitment to it that other activities go unnoticed or unchallenged in life. It is valuable to cultivate great talent and bring it as close as possible to its full potential. Thomas Jefferson is one of America’s most notable men who can easily be called a Renaissance Man due to his wide range of interests such as education, economics, inventing, public service and writing.

After reading up on some great examples of such men I began to ponder my ability or lack thereof in balancing my life. I do have a wide spectrum of interets but each day I seem overwhelmed with daily ‘to do’ lists I try to complete. These various tasks I try to accomplish with my perfectionism. Some could say my perfectionism gets in the way and maybe this morning I’m possibly agreeing with these so called finger pointers. I agree with them after reading about such men and how they balance their interests making them a better person as a whole. However, this recent educational research has also helped me decide that yes it is time for me to look for a new job. I’m in a great place right now but I don’t want to settle on one thing…I’ve been here long enough. It’s time for me to move on and find a new challenge. I need to step out of my warmth and into something cold to wake me up.

Now, if only I could decide on what I want to do in my next career. I have a whole list of things I want to do or become. Where do I begin? It’s time for me to keep expand my knowledge and continue being a Renaissance Man.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about getting some ragged clothes and an old gas can??

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying for you and your new job/career! que sera sera renaissance man!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

YEAH!!!! Good for you Mateo. I am all for that idea. I think it is a great idea. Change is good. I am excited for you & your new quest! I cannot wait to see where it takes you.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home