Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Art of Life

I spent the night with my grandma last night as I hadn't seen her in a few months. She will achieve the grand age of 86 this year to which she asked me if I thought she would live long past that? I didn't know exactly what to say but I let my answer roll of my tongue as if I wasn't thinking too much about her question.

I eventually turned my attention to a stack of magazines she had read that were catered to an audience of 'old timers.' Thinking I would skim thru a few I crawled down off the couch and sat myself next to the pile of magazines. I was hoping to find a few 'old timer' things I could ask my grandma about since she loves to talk and has a good memory of things gone by.

We chatted back and forth a bit talking about her days as a young mother in Arkansas to the days she used to get out about town a bit more. These days she sits at home in silence until a telemarketer calls to break the silence.

After turning the pages of the slick magazines I found a small book advertising some odd number of household secrets using anything you have laying around your house. I'm a sucker for some gimmicks and this is one of them.

I quickly turned the pages and learned that a banana peel can shine your shoes, while a paste of water and baking soda can eliminate the rust stains in your stainless steel sink. Before I closed the book for the night I found a section on decorating secrets. I came across one so called secret that had me laughing in disgust.

"A decorator's tip that would cost a fortune," it stated. "It's very chic to accent walls, furniture and other areas with carpet. A decorator would charge thousands of dollars for this idea. If you've got leftover carpeting, cut it into strips and glue it onto the wall like wallpaper. Or, cut out matching seat mats, or face a desk with leftover carpet."

I can't wait to get home and try this idea out. In fact from now on anytime someone spills something on my carpet I'll just cut that stain out of my carpet and hang it up on my wall. And that my friend is art!

7 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

We have a few stains on our carpet that you left us. Would you like to hang it on your wall? I'm looking forward to seeing how this little decorating venture turns out!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Mr. T said...

K, you need to be corrected. There is only one stain and I scrubbed it up. I don't leave messes at other people's houses.

9:51 PM  
Blogger minus five said...

i can't imagine how it would ever look good to put carpet on walls. what year was this book published?

6:50 AM  
Blogger suzspeaks said...

hello matt thomas!
Thanks for the hint to keep my stainless steel sink clean, I think I'll try it out tomorrow! I hope the carpet thing works out for you!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carpet on walls, and things like that are not unusual.... but I always wondered why the Pilgrims started wearing their belt buckles on their HATS!??

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny...I mean, really really funny. If I ever see this "art" at someone's house, I will have no other choice but to laugh loudly and point...at the carpet and then at their face.
-Hub

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was soll ich schon sagen? Ich verstehe kein Wort.
Aber interessant muss es ja sein, wer würde hier sonst eine Anmerkung schreiben??

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home