Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thoughts...

As I stood waiting for the elevator to take me to my room a few floors up an older couple joined me on the marble laid floor in the hotel lobby. The woman stood closer to me than her husband as we both hoped an elevator near us to would open soon. As her husband inched closer to us the elevator closest to him, and farthest from us, opened as he hobbled in. With his back hunched over he grasped his cain even tighter as he slowly made his way to the back of the mirrored elevator. “Are you trying to leave me down here alone?” his wife said as she entered the elevator shortly behind him. I stepped in and gently pressed my floor number and asked them what floor they needed as the woman stared ahead into the mirror and recited, “Floor five young man." The old woman started messing with her hair in the mirror before saying, “of course you were trying to leave me down there, looking like this I would do the same thing too!”

It’s situations like these that make me laugh and appreciate my job of being on the road. The simple interaction between this husband and wife gave me something to smile about on what was a rather bad day. However, earlier that afternoon I witnessed this situation.

I sat in the corner booth picking at my food while I worked on a few Sudoku puzzles. My body aches were only worsening that afternoon and I couldn’t bring myself to eat much more than a few nibbles of my over-priced lunch. Ignoring my surroundings I completed a few puzzles until I eventually looked up to see a father and son sitting diagonal from me at a small table enjoying their lunch. Within a matter of minutes I began to notice that they were enjoying their lunch, but not the present company of each other. I was intrigued and couldn’t help but stare. With the fathers back to me I could only see the face of the son who had to be no older than 16. With each bite the son looked up at his father though the glance was not returned as the father kept his eyes on his plate before him. I continued moving my food around the plate with my fork as I kept my attention on the relationship across from me. Conveniently I held my Sudoku book up in case I needed to immediately return my eyes to my book. Minutes were passing briskly as the two of them continued eating but not talking. Emotions in me were telling me to stand up and go tell the father how messed up his son would be if he didn’t take the time to visit with him over a simple meal, though my muscles didn’t move from my booth. I couldn’t believe what was happening a few feet from me though I couldn’t do anything about it. It was none of my business but I was aghast that a father couldn’t take the time to talk with his child. It was obvious the kid would enjoy socializing with his father, but instead he took each bite in solemn silence until the father was finished with his meal and they could head out the door and back home.

I realize that we all communicate in various ways. Some are rather successful at saying their true feelings, while others hide behind their feelings never letting the other know what’s going on inside their head. The last week and a half was a busy trip for me and it got rather lonely towards the end. I’m happy to have my computer back up and running. I’m happy to be back in the blogging world. I’ve missed communication.

1 Comments:

Blogger ethomas said...

wht if they were deaf??? and did not like to talk w/ there mouths full?

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home