Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Boots

I bought my first pair of cowboy boots.

Really they aren’t the first I guess. Just the first pair I’ve bought for myself. I can’t count the ones every elementary-aged boy has while playing in the dirt. My new boots are made of ostrich skin.

I don’t know what got into me but I decided one day I wanted some and so I bought a pair that afternoon. I walked into a few stores trying to find the best deal and did some bartering to bring the price down. I was successful and walked out with a shiny new pair a couple stores later.

I wore them for the first time last night. They are not stained dark and therefore make me look like I work on a ranch. No, in fact they make me look like a rock star. Except for one small thing….I’m not a rock star, but I feel like one. My friend who was tagging along when I bought them laughed at me the entire time. He couldn’t fathom why I would want a pair of boots but he shut up and let me walk out a few bucks poorer.

Last night my friend and I met a few other friends for sushi. I was excited to show the boots off and stir up a few laughs at my outrageous purchase. Walking into the sushi joint last night I asked the waitress if the Tatami Room table was available and it was. This is the table that sits low on the floor while you’re feet slide under into a crevice hidden under the table. It’s definitely not your typical restaurant table choice.

In order to sit at this particular table the hostess ask that all dinner patrons take off their shoes and leave them on the step so no dirt will be on the floor area where you sit. I begrudgingly took off my new boots and sat them there all alone. After settling into my seat my friend started laughing and said, “I think you chose this table on purpose because of your boots. You want this entire restaurant to see your stupid purchase and now they are out there on the step in full view for everyone to enjoy.”

It wasn’t my original plan but after thinking about it for a second I kind of liked it. It’s tough being a rock star.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, since you went for Sushi, I'll ask you. Jeremy wants to eat sushi for his birthday, where should I take him and do they have things to eat other then sushi cause I don't really like it!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm speechless.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you have boots, when are you taking me dancing? I feel a little two-step coming on.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt if that is your 1st pair of boots then at the reunion we are gonna' need a pic. of u in your boots and underoos with a plastic six-shooter just like we all did when we were 3 or 4! Look forward to seeing you!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home