Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tie One On


Fall is here. I felt it last night as my doors stayed open to let the rain filled air enter my living room. Though the place chilled down quickly I only put on more clothes to stay warm. I want to enjoy this moment before winter arrives any day now. Last year around here we went from summer to winter in just a few short days. I’m hoping fall can find time to stop around here for a few days this year.

During the fall and winter months I succumb to wearing a white robe around my house. If you come ring my doorbell you will be warmly greeted by me in a robe. You may eyeball me up and down and think I’m crazy and not acting my age but I don’t care. I like my robe. It’s heavy, mid-length and feels as soft as a towel.

I remember my grandpa, my dad and my brother all owning one. My dad’s was blue and extremely long. He would stand over the floor vents to warm up on chilly winter mornings before he got ready for work. My brother’s was flannel and raggedy…something he wasn’t ready to throw away yet though the years were showing around the hems. If you entered our house on any given day you may think you were at a party at the Playboy Mansion with our robes on. But that wasn’t the case. We were just enjoying the male equivalent to the muumuu. I won’t go down the family line of all the ladies that have worn, and still do, muumuus.

My robe may look uncool. But on a cold Saturday morning I’m not worried about looking cool. It’s about hanging out, staying warm and getting comfortable. My weekend breakfast of fruit, oatmeal and orange juice taste much better with a robe on, I swear.

If you don't believe me, stop by Saturday morning. You can try mine on.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for the comment! Do you still come down to Dallas as often as you used to? I haven't seen you in awhile.

The State Fair just won't be the same without you this year.

10:45 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

i love robes.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ryan and Katie said...

I love robes and flannel sheets and pajamas. That's the only good thing about winter.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Fall is my very favorite season, and for whatever reason, we are stuck in an endless summer this year. I keep trying to wear sweaters to work, and then I'm roasting to death by noon. I mean, we've had a couple spots of rain here and there, but it's not the real deal. Come on, it's October 10th! Can I get a little fall already?!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Mike and Debby said...

I wish Fall was longer. The colors are amazing! The crisp mornings, floating upon dense fog, are etched into memories that last a lifetime.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Aubrie said...

I have these blue fleece house slippers with rubber soles from Land's End that I LOVE! I wear them all Fall and all Winter and even in the Spring and Summer if I can get away with it. I pulled them out of the closet on Tuesday with glee.
Oh, and my mom has them in pink. Family thing too, I guess.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just picture you sitting at your table, reading the paper, drinking your tea, in your robe. You're bringing Sexy Back with a vengeance!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home