Wednesday, June 07, 2006

'Ole Blue Eyes

My eyes changed color today. They went from green to blue. My new license can prove it.

My driver’s license expired over two months ago. I had no idea. I don’t memorize my license and therefore didn’t know I was driving illegally until I tried flying back home after a short trip to see friends. The airport security was not fond of me caring an expired license. I suddenly was treated as if I were on “the list” the government created around 9/11. I was padded down, asked questions and stood silently while witnessing my luggage being carefully searched down to the bag of dirty laundry I had stored at the bottom of the suitcase. Eventually I made it thru security with some message scribbled on my ticket with a pink highlighter. Next time I’m going to carry my own highlighter and help out the process.

After forgetting to update my license for the past few weeks I finally took an early lunch today to accomplish the task. Driving back to the office I looked at the license to admire my picture. Out of the four licenses’ I have owned, only one had a horrible picture. Today’s picture continued my streak of good luck. Sitting at an intersection I inspected the license closer before the light turned green and noticed I had ‘blue as the sky’ eyes. Shortly thereafter I arrived into the work parking lot and walked towards my office stopping into the bathroom to check out my eyes. The mirror confirmed that I now have two blue eyes. I checked with a coworker by asking her what color my eyes were. She confirmed they were blue. I asked another coworker and she squinted a bit and eventually mumbled out the color blue, followed by some possible gray streaks.

My high school science teacher told my junior class that some genetic variances have advantages or disadvantages in certain situations. He went on to say that a birth defect could be defined as any type of unwanted, useless, or disadvantageous variance. His example for the class centered on how in some sunny countries, fair skin, blue eyes and blond hair could be considered a birth defect. At that point in the lecture the entire class woke up since we only heard him call blonde hair blue eyed students birth defects.

Now that I have blue eyes for the day all I can think about is me having a birth defect.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't looked at her eyes closely in a while, but when my Sherry was a kid one of her eyes was two different colors. Half blue and half green. The other eye was blue.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of blue eyes!

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your eyes are sparkly, just like your insanely white grill.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue eyes, my friend, are not a birth defect at all. Instead, they are the mark of something awesomely beautiful...like myself;)
Enjoy your new life as a blue-eyed, blonde-haired wonder of nature.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home