Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Advice

I called up to my parents the other night to let them know all the thoughts going thru my head. This is my odd way of letting them know I solicit their advice without directly asking for it. I could ask for it, but I don’t know if they’ll give it freely. They would rather stand behind me and offer their guidance while I try to find the answers on my own.

Lately nothing feels right. Each decision I’m making doesn’t feel to be the right one. I don’t know what the right answer is, but each thing I’m questioning and the reasoning I come up with just isn’t right. I’m currently in a weird funk.

Last night I was at a friend’s house going over recent life events and she started offering her crazy advice up freely. I stopped her mid-sentence and asked her if she ever followed her own advice. She said no and made a face as if that was the stupidest question I could ever ask. Somehow it didn’t stop her from continuing to offering more advice. Funny advice it was but it didn’t really sink in.

I’m a why person. I was explaining this to another friend the other day when mulling in my own thoughts. I’m a why and not a how person. I question everything. I don’t just get out and not think things thru expecting that whatever happens will happen and it will be good. To some this might seem like a good quality, but it’s not always easy. It wears me out. I over-analyze everything and don’t always come to a conclusion that I’m happy with. There are times I want an answer quickly and I turn to someone for an answer, but it seems they are too afraid to give an answer.

It’s been said that you have to leave home before you can ask difficult questions. They are hard to ask in familiar places. You need to stand back and see things in a new way. I’m beginning to wonder what stepping from my familiarity is like. I think it’s something I need to heavily consider doing around here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan and Katie said...

What was my "crazy" advice? That you not worry about the future? Well that advice comes from someone named GOD and He wrote it in a holy book called the BIBLE and if He is sooo crazy then maybe you should worship some other deity who saved you soul.....(it's true I don't always follow my good advice but I still know that it is good advice)

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, now...

7:50 AM  
Blogger minus five said...

i'm not too afraid to give answers, so you can call me up any time. i've been through what you're describing many, many times.

its not easy. not ever. somehow it always gets figured out in the end, but that's not an easy thing to know when you're overwhelmed. in fact, you can't seem to know it or believe it at all.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally know where you are coming from, especially with wanting to know the why's of things. But, sometimes the answer is simply, "why not!!" If you have a great opportunity to make a change, even if its only a stepping stone or temporary haietus, why not take the leap and check it out.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growth comes from change!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i told you to travel east a long time ago. you didn't take that advice.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home