Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Fortunate Day


Everyone loves a fortune cookie right? Thru the years you may have added two certain words to the end of each fortune, or asked everyone at the table to crack open the cookie at the same time for good luck. Nonetheless it’s the highlight of every meal at any Asian eatery. Typically these fortunes center on love, riches and/or power. The wisdom and prophecy causes you to think internally for the following 60 seconds seeing if this one sentence certainly applies to your life or not. I personally am a sucker for these bits of truth, or lack thereof. My fortune today over lunch read, "You believe in the goodness of mankind."

Recently I enjoyed dinner with a friend at a local Chinese restaurant. As history would prove most fortunes from those simple cookies apply to my life dead on. I rarely receive an unfortunate cookie. I tore into my cookie after dinner to receive “You will bring sunshine into someone’s life.” Yes, this is a pretty general statement applying to most everyone. My friend opens hers, frowned and quickly threw it down on her nearly empty plate. “Now hold on, you can’t do that,” I say. “Where’s the fun in that?” I retrieved her fortune and read, “Good things come to those who wait. Be patient.” How ironic is that? Her fortune centered on patience yet she acted like a six year old that has no idea what patience is. She was uninterested in her fortune, come to find out, because she has no patience for anything.

Every time I retrieve a fortune from a cookie I end up keeping it. There are times you could open my wallet and find three or four placed in there. I do nothing with them, except pile them up in a cup at work. Soon I’ll do something creative with them. I had two friends in college once make a homemade card for me using several fortunes glued onto the card. It read, “We hope you have a fortunate day.” Do you have any ideas on what to do with my fortune collection?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something super cheesy you could do is read through them every now and then and if you think one has come true then past it in a journal and write beside it what happend. Then when you are sad you can open your "fortune" journal and read all the good things that have happend.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

In your friend's defense, fortune cookies don't really reveal fortune's much anymore. They used to give great fortunes but now there is merely a generic statement printed on that piece of paper. I refer to them as statement cookies now. I'm slightly disappointed each time I open a fortune cookie.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wallpaper your room with them/or at least your closet! I'm sure you eat enough Asian food that it wouldn't take long. Epecially if you are like Bray & eat 4 at each meal.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the "cheesy" fortune cookie idea....at least that would add some taste to the bland texture of the immitation cookies. Together with a Salmon filling, you could eat the whole thing, including the "fortune" and start collecting something cool like, belly button lint or toe jam.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ate Chinese tonight & Bray asked me to read his fortune (I don't eat them). His said "there is a cake waiting for you soon." What does that mean? He was like REALLY!!! I said no, he said oh, that just says that, but it's not true. I replied, nope, not true. But maybe there will be a cake, in two weeks or two months???

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mr. T said...

poor brayden. I'll bring him cake over Xmas.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. t, your fortune came true with me tuesday night! thanks for the sunshine =)

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fortune cookie yesterday said "LOVE COMES SINGLY AND LEAVES ACCOMPANIED"

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home