Monday, December 05, 2005

The calm before the storm

A couple friends walked into the dining room last night in the midst of a conversation centered on the question of, “Am I approachable?” Laying down my Sunday paper and making eye contact with these two friends I immediately had the question lying on my lap. Trying to sound breezy and not at all nervous I let the question sink in. Since these two friends were females I soon became scared for my life. The intent of my sitting at their table reading a Sunday paper was to kill time till my free dinner was cooked and served. Would I be kicked out if I answered that honestly? Was there a good way to let one friend down and say “No!” while I stroked the other friends ego by saying, “Yes?” As these two girls sat on a weight scale in my mind I kept trying to find a way to make them sit evenly on the scale of approachableness. With all this going on in my head, images of a cold night ordering fast food in the drive thru lane were popping up if I were to answer this honestly.

I battled a few scenarios in my head (if only I had a dime each time I end up doing this act) till I eventually caved in and shared my honest answer. I’ve been told I’m a bit too honest with people so why stop hiding it tonight at this table? Plus I could easily hold up the Sunday paper classifieds if any objects were thrown my way. I stumbled my way thru a perfectly planned course of words letting them know that one friend was very approachable, while the other was less approachable due to her unassuming blank-thought stares and reputation for being a transplant and not a true Okie.

At this moment another guy stepped into the house only to be thrown the same question, by me this time. In blunt action he quickly elevated the two girls ego’s before instantaneously shooting me down with a direct, “not at all.” It was half expected from him to be honest, so no hurt feelings. Following this guy, two more females walked into the kitchen and were caught up to date on the story before they had even loosened their scarves and coats. They were asked the same question. This time I got a “well…um…ya…but you didn’t ever talk to me the first few times I met you.” Still, my cold heart wasn't broken (whew!).

It was a pathetic act...me trying to come up with a rebound but my mind was blank. I wasn't offended at all but still I couldn't place my finger on any one thing or situation that could have caused such ill feelings. I mean come on, I'm a lifetime member, card-carrying geek.

7 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I think I've been your friend long enough to know that you're going to give me an honest answer no matter what. So why start being offended now? Besides, according to last night's consensus, I think we both sit in the same "unapproachable" boat. Although it would have been a excuse to throw something at you. I missed my window of opportunity on that one!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lynn Valdez said...

You ARE approachable. I have known you for 9 years now. It is not that you are unapproachable. The more appropriate term would be very busy-mind elsewhere-doesn't seem approachable until approached. Then you are outgoing and awesome. But, then again, I have not seen you in over a year. Maybe you are a real jerk now. JK-not possible. LOVE YOU LYNN

2:06 PM  
Blogger Mr. T said...

yes I know I'm approachable. thanks for your words. Others are just intimidated...therefore giving me more reasons to laugh at them and retell in story form.

2:10 PM  
Blogger The fashion concience you should be listening to said...

A really good friend of mine asked her brother-in-law if she had gained weight since marrying his brother. Now, any guy knows he can't answer this question right, so he tried to avoid it. Promising she wouldn't be mad as long as he was honest he consented to "Yeah, a little bit". Shocked and horrified she exclaimed, "Where!?!?!" Thinking he had already jumped into the fire he replied, "In your hips and stomach a little bit" They didn't speak for the next two days.
Lesson to be learned: Don't ask a question if you think you'll be upset w/ the honest answer.
And, I've never thought you were anything but approachable.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Mr. T said...

hahaha...good story. I read a similar story recently how a male should talk his way out of future questions a wife might ask regarding her weight. I need to find it again and post it.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

There was a similar story on a blog that I read the other day. Honesty is always the best policy, but honesty/reality is in the eyes of the beholder. The girlfriend asked if she was fat. The boyfriend (good man) said I don't see you in terms of fat & skinny. I love you just the way you are no matter what. You are perfect to me! That's awesome. I've been told that I'm not approachable, but others have said that I am. You can't please everyone. So I guess those that aren't affraid to approach me are the ones that I want to be friends with!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Side note - I like the updated blog template

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home