Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year. New Sizes.

I was standing there in the poorly lit dressing room analyzing why they couldn’t fit. For once I wasn’t concentrating on my fear of stepping painfully on straight pins that some person haphazardly threw on the carpet when trying an item on. Instead I was standing there wondering what’s happened to my body this past year. One leg after another I slipped the trendy jeans on seeing if I needed to fork over too much money for something I would possibly wear too much. One can never go wrong with a good pair of jeans no matter how much they are used. They can be dressed up or down, picked up from the dirty clothes pile without anyone knowing, or even thrown in my luggage. And they still somehow never wrinkle by the time I unpack them. Yet there I stood with good posture, sucking my stomach in, over-analyzing my current state of being.

This time last year I succeeded in losing 10-pounds. For some I’m sure it’s hard to imagine me needing to lose that much, but it was a personal goal and I won. For years I couldn’t gain a pound no matter how much I ate. I had high a metabolism rate to which I would give anything to be back at right now. After college I finally began to gain a pound or two. It was in October of ‘03 when I had outgrown my dairy allergies and really began to gain some weight (or really gain one pound). My weight gain is nothing significant…just that it hangs around 25-pounds more than I weighed when I graduated high school eight years ago. I’m still skinny to most people’s opinions, but it’s my waist size that has me disappointed.

To my dismay shortly after the holiday season last year I put those 10-pounds back on. My goal to lose that weight before Christmas was achieved. However, I naively thought I could maintain my weight.

Here I am one year later and I’ve done nothing to keep the weight off. Nor have I put any extra on. Only when standing there in the dressing room did I realize that with the New Year starting shortly did I need to set another weight goal. I was standing there with my usual-size jeans wrapped around my legs and they just didn’t feel right. I started getting nervous in the dressing room as I accepted the disappointment yet I couldn’t bring myself to try on another size. Maybe it was a fluke this time, the one pair I tried on was a faulty pair I thought. However, I didn’t want to chance it and prove myself wrong. So without a second thought I proudly returned the jeans to the shelf and walked out of the store.

The next time I find myself in a poorly lit dressing room…..well nevermind. It’s a new year and this means it’s a new year for new sizes. Meaning, new sizes of the meals I eat and the amount of water I drink. I hope you all can follow your New Year resolutions as I start mine this week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike and Debby said...

Some folks have the idea that a "tummy tuck" is just poking it down into the blue jeans a little farther. Others think it's a medical problem called "dunlap disease" (where it's "dun lapped over your belt"). The "boomers" think it's cool to have "love handles" and actually have contests to prove their handles are the meanest. I'm not that way. I've worked hard to keep my waist as trim and fit as you've seen it. Just a dozen tummy "curls" a night will do amazing things for the way people look at you.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

There you go, good advice from the pops. I'm sure you'll be checking out Phil's site for tips. I'm sorry to say that I am proud of my current size. I noticed though that everyone else had resolutions about their size. Although I said on my blog that I did not have a resolution, I was reminded that I did. It was to - ummmm - keep an open mind & not judge a book by it's cover!

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can come do pilates with me....if I ever even open those DVDs. After all I hear you already have the exercise ball!

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M -- do you still have that old thighmaster?

7:27 AM  
Blogger Mr. T said...

i have never had a thighmaster....and since you brought it up packrat...I still have no idea who you are, and why do you think I have a thighmaster?

9:04 AM  
Blogger The fashion concience you should be listening to said...

My only New Year's resolution was to blog more. I figured it was the one thing I might actually be able to keep up with.
I do have a thighmaster tucked away somewhere if you want it. It's an igeneous piece of machinery. Where would we be w/out Suzanne Somers?

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear Lands End is having a sale on jeans with elastic in the waistband. Just a thought.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home