Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Old-Fashion Traditions

I sit here in the solitude of my office satisfying my craving for a lunch break. I’m not a sandwich fan, but my options were small today as this was the only thing hanging around my kitchen this morning. Somehow I forgot the best part of my lunch, which solemnly sits on the top shelf in my refrigerator at home. An oversized slice of chocolate cake with a sweet white sauce drizzled over sits there untouched. I spoiled myself and took home a dessert after dinner out with a friend two nights ago. How could I have forgotten that this morning? If I had brought that in and left my sandwich at home I would have cared less about the bread and meat sitting solemnly on the counter. I guess its okay though. It gives me something to look forward to when I step into my back door this evening after work. I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with eating dessert before dinner.

Last night I enjoyed a dinner invitation from a neighbor across the street. She and her husband cooked dinner for me and my other neighbor next door. I quickly accepted the dinner invitation not for the free home cooked meal, but for the satisfaction of sitting around a dinner table conversing over great food and drinks. I slightly think I’m a bit old fashioned in this manner.

Gypsy runs in the family blood, but somewhere in there I believe there’s a bit of Italian. Great memories for me involve the dinner table encircled with friends and family from all walks of life. It seems this tradition has been let go by so many people in today’s society. Little leagues sports, PTA meetings, hard copy news on the flat screen…it’s all out there distracting us from the sturdy wood table that sits empty in our dining rooms collecting last weeks mail. What does it take to bring us back to the table? The dining room is my favorite room in any house. The table brings us together to share stories, heartaches, laughter and tears. I encourage you to set out the dishes, fill up the glasses and invite someone over to share it with. Forgo the nearest diner that’s filled with strangers and interruptions. Instead share your home and open your heart. Lastly, don’t forget to invite me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. It makes me think back to the dinner parties on campus and at studio 224.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Tabs said...

I'm so with you on that Matt. And I am challenged by it. I am so quick to suggest a restaurant to go to with friends, and not that that is bad but I think you miss something. It creates such great times for everyone involved when you can make a home cooked meal and enjoy it with friends in the comfort of your own home. :)

12:59 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

I get sick of eating out. I like it, but I really like a home cooked meal at the table. Luckily I have kids to make me stick to something like that. But we gather at the table almost every night & many lunches!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home