Monday, January 16, 2006

Everything Changes

With her elbows resting on the table and chin propped up in her hands she admitted she was scared out of her mind. She hasn’t admitted that to anyone yet but somehow it slipped out the other night as we waited for our pizza to carry home. With her half eaten salad sitting in front of her I thought I’d dig for some info before she packs up and starts a new life out east.

Having grown up only two hours from here she hasn’t left her comfort zone and experienced something new. Though she can’t pinpoint it exactly there’s something out there saying she needs to make a change in her life. She has no job lined up, yet she's taking a large leap to move far from home and see what happens from there. From this viewpoint the grass is greener on the other side to her. I’ll ask her again in a few months, once she’s settled in, if the grass is still green or not.

It hit me that night how everything changes. With those few extra minutes on our hands while waiting for the pizza, we were able to dwell on the fact that life is changing quicker than expected and yet it’s all okay and a bit crazy.

Lately I’ve been wishing for an “Ah Ha” moment….the moment described by some as realizing something for the first time. Perhaps solving a personal problem or finding the answer to something troubling all the sudden…I need that moment pretty soon. Maybe it’s the rut I feel like I’m in, but I curious to know if the “Ah Ha” moment is a real thing, a real experience. For my friend sitting across the table she said it was real. Though it was scary to accept the idea of moving at first, it hit her like an “Ah Ha” moment and suddenly she was at peace.

Yesterday afternoon while reading the Sunday paper I took a quick glance at my horoscope. I don’t religiously follow horoscopes but it’s a habit of mine to look at it every Sunday just to see what kind of good laugh it can give me. However, there I sat yesterday in shock as I read, “Fight off moods of laziness and inertia. Take an active approach to organizing the affairs of your life and mapping out your path to success.”

So maybe it’s not an “Ah Ha” moment I need. Maybe I’m in the right spot at the right time. Maybe it’s just me thinking the grass is greener on the other side. However, I guess I’ll stay put and work at keeping the grass on my side green.

Quick, I need a two cans of green spray paint!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike and Debby said...

I remember seeing green lawns in Tulsa....during the normally brown days of winter! As if there's not enough for a homeowner to paint already!
People's nature is to believe that the grass IS greener on the other side of the fence (same reason the Bear went over the mountain)! But spending your life changing jobs, careers and locations usually nets you a bowl full of experience with very little equity. After several years and several jobs, you find out that green grass grows no matter where you are....all you have to do is feed and water it!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great insight, UM. I knew I get a good reading out of you on this one. I have Ah Ha moments all the time, then I get them & a couple of days later think oh that wasn't it, this one is it. I don't think that you know until AFTER the fact many times. Which makes making the decision no easier. But that's when you have to clear the brain & rely on GOD for the future.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

I can totally relate to this analogy...just the other day I was looking a friend’s blog who is teaching English in Japan & went to Thailand over X-mas & New Years. I made the comment to Ben, "Why can't we be traveling all over the world having new adventures?" to which he responded, "Yeah, but they probably wish they could find a mate & get settled down here." There's more truth to that than you know b/c I don't know how many times those particular friends have said they want what I have. Ahhhh, the irony of it all:)

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! nursing degrees online Telemarketing call center walmely Alfa romeo mecanica Video editing graphic cards Cell free page phone white

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home